Forgotten Buffalo: Historic & Hip...An Urban Explorer's Guide to the Buffalo-Niagara Region: Unique Landmarks, Historic Gin Mills, Old World Neighborhoods, History, Nickel City Oddities, Tours and More!
Off the waiting room was the women's parlor, furnished in soft brown and furnished with wicker furniture. There were rugs on the floor and a writing desk invited correspondence. In a corresponding corner on the other side of the stairs was a smoking room. The middle of the east side of the waiting room afforded entrance to the train concourse. Opening off the waiting room was the customary news stand, telegraph and parcel booths, and restaurant. On a mezzanine floor were rooms for the railroad employees, waiting room for immigrants, and room for railroad business mail. On the third floor were various offices, including those for the superintendent and the train dispatcher.
In 1963, the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad merged with the Erie Railroad. The new company, the Erie - Lackawanna Railroad abandoned majestic terminal at the foot of Main Street soon after. The head house with its grand staircase was finally demolished in 1979 during construction of Buffalo's light rail rapid transit system. Although passenger terminal was razed, the terminal's brick train sheds were converted into servicing facilities.
View of DL&W toward eastern end of property from South Park Avenue showing concrete access ramp to second level. Signal tower and smoke stack portions of Boiler Room structure are at left, and towers of Michigan Avenue Bridge over the Buffalo River are in background of photo.
Interior of larger DL&W passenger building showing main concourse on upper level, with stairway from street level at right of photo and passage to trains at left. Skyway can be seen through large window facing Buffalo River. Matching window is directly opposite.
View of DL&W complex from across Buffalo River. Two passenger buildings are at center, with train shed extending toward right. Skyway shows at top left, with Naval Park construction below.
View from the Foot of Main Street
View from across the Buffalo River
Nickel Plate Railroad locomotive at DL&W Terminal. Note Skyway in background.
Terminal in 1979.
Postcard view from 1919.
The most famous train to call the terminal home... the Phoebe Snow. Express service between Buffalo and New York City.
Google Earth view in 2005
The main waiting room at time of opening in 1917.
THE DL&W TODAY
Pictures taken on Saturday, October 1, 2005. Although the station house was rasied in 1979, the trainshed is still a majestic structure.
Marvin Street looking towards HSBC Arena.
South Park and Marvin Streets
Irish homes on Marvin Street. Building at corner is the Fulmar Tavern (Fulton & Marvin Streets)
HO Oats Building and Elevator..
The classic Malamute Tavern. Owner has been offered money for site. South Park at Michigan Ave.
DL& W Terminal. Photo taken from Michigan Ave. lift bridge. Oct. 2005
Buffalo's DL&W Terminal Reborn in Scranton
Ted Straub sent along the following images from Steamtown, NHS. In the mid-80s, the ticket counter of Buffalo's DLW Terminal was recreated from station plans. This full-scale relication is made out of marble, sandstone and brass. These pictures give you an idea how any re-use of the DL&W complex could be enhanced by restoration of key elements. Thanks Ted for taking a trip to Scranton, PA to share these pics.