Holy Family Church was founded in 1902 to serve the quick growing neighborhoods being established on the south side of the Buffalo River. The church building was erected in 1907 and is of Romanesque architecture. The interior wails were painted a plain color with only a minimum of decoration on them for relief effect. Then in 1912, Holvag Rambush, a noted Danish artist, came to the parishioners of the church and asked for the commission to paint the walls. In a 1935 Courier Express article, Holy Family Church was said to be the only church in the United States that featured authentic ancient Irish art motifs for its interior decoration. The murals and decorations of the sanctuary were copied from the famous Book of Kells, which was hand printed and illuminated in the Eighth Century and is now in the library of Trinity College, Dublin. Decorative panels in the nave of the church were taken from the ancient book of manuscripts known as the Book of Lindisfarne, named for the island off the coast of England which in the early Christian era was a missionary center for Irish monks. As Holy Family, and South Buffalo grew, in the years since its inception in 1902 four new parishes sprung to life to address the needs of an increasing population. The first was St. Agatha's (formerly All Souls) in 1920, followed by St. Thomas Aquinas (1920), St. Martins (1926), and St. Ambrose (1930).
Holy Family School, Tifft Street, South Buffalo, New York
174 WOODSIDE AVENUE
The Russert Home, South Buffalo
TIM RUSSERT WAY - 2008
TIM RUSSERT CHILDREN'S GARDEN/DUDLEY LIBRARY - 2002
SOUTH BUFFALO AMERICAN LEGION POST 721
South Buffalo American Legion Post 721 was a “home away from home” for Tim Russert’s father, Big Russ who was Post Commander in 1960. Russert’s picture is proudly displayed in the backroom. Founded in 1922, the Post once hosted a roster of over 1500 members (currently at 241) including Mayor Jimmy Griffin. It was NBC newsman Tom Brokaw who immortalized the Post during a memorial service for Russert. Standing at podium, Brokaw held an American Legion mug given to him by "Big Russ" and a bottle of Rolling Rock Beer and toasted his friend one last time.
Big Russ was Commander of Post 721 in 1960-61.
Vintage shufflebowling machine and display at Legion Post 721
ST. BONAVENTURE CHURCH & SCHOOL
SECOND CHILDHOOD HOME & HOME OF BIG RUSS
NBC Peacock on the door of Big Russ's House
Due to respect for the Russert Family, Big Russ and their loyal neighbors, Forgotten Buffalo has not included detailed information about this location.